My Photo
Name:
Location: Philadelphia area, United States

I'm 37 and live in the Philadelphia area.

Monday, July 17, 2006

Getting there...

Well, I bought the new Pete Hamill book, Downtown: My Manhattan today at Barnes & Noble using my 25%-off coupon they sent B&N members. I've been wanting to read something of his for a while, and I think this is his latest and only recently came out on paperback. I became interested in him after the first time I watched Ric Burns' documentary on New York City. He was interviewed quite a few times and he seemed so down-to-earth and interesting. He's the son of Irish immigrants and I particularly remember him talking about how he used to hear his dad weeping after working long summer days in NYC, weeping because of the pain from his wooden leg. He goes on to say that all children of immigrants must honor that pain and do whatever they can to honor it and remember what their parents gave up for them. I get teary-eyed just thinking about it. I'm almost done with The Guns of August, and may start this one next.

I'm also working on planning a Gettysburg vacation for myself in October of November. I'm looking through prices of B&Bs and hotels out there. I'll be going by myself, so I can take a small room at a B&B.

I think I can scratch "get rid of old perfumes" after tonight. This is something I've been putting off for years. Many of them are old and probably the smell is off, but I'm a big scent person and it's hard for me to get rid of this stuff. I'm going to be brutal, though, and get rid of anything I haven't worn since this time last year. I'll still have my fall/winter and spring/summer scents, but none of this stuff hanging around forever.

I'm also looking up what I can take for a Philadephia history class. I'm hoping to find something at the community college or at Main Light School Night because I'm not going to pay a fortune for what should be a fun class.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home